Tuesday, May 12, 2009

No se ha encontrado el blog.

So this is what I first came across trying to find my own blog address in SPAIN!!  However, I persevered, and am now able to write about what's been happening over the past several days! (By the way, I did get most of those things done, minus getting my oil changed, so I guess that can just wait until I get back!)


A group of seven of us left Auburn on Sunday afternoon to travel to Atlanta where we caught the red-eye to Spain.  We flew into Madrid Monday morning, after one of the most blissfully uneventful flights I've ever been on!  I watched one movie on board, and then settled in to sleep the remaining 5 or so hours.  I've never had that much sleep on an overnight flight, so it was pretty amazing.  

We arrived in Madrid, and then set out by taxi to find the hotel.  Now I've had some bad taxi drivers before, but nothing like this.  We set out gunning it for as fast as the driver could push it, and then slammed on brakes a mere 10 seconds later.  This pace lasted about all the way to the hotel.  It didn't help that we were the second of two cars, and our driver was trying to follow the man in front.  One of the other students later pointed out to me all the dents on the back halves of cars.  Apparently hitting someone here is not really all that uncommon!

We were given time to shower and change clothes before catching the 12:20 train to Toledo.  The shower definitely did me good, as it sort of woke me up to prepare me for the seven hours of walking I was about to endure!  It was worth it though.  As soon as we arrived in Toledo, we grabbed something for lunch, then took a taxi ride around the city.  At the very first sto
p, we were allowed to get out and take pictures.  

So....here's the city of Toledo!


Next, we were able to ride around more, and see what is supposed to be a really good example of a manor with surrounding gardens.  We wouldn't really know though, because it hasn't been open to the public for the last 100 years.  We were able to get some good pictures of each other, so here's one of me with the other girls on the trip, Summer (L) and Taylor (R).

After finishing up our taxi tour, the driver dropped us off at the bottom of the city, and we proceeded to walk...and walk...and walk....all the way up to the top.  It was definitely NOT what I would call a relaxing first day, but we did see some beautiful sights!  Before we walked back to the train station, we were able to see some more views of the city.  I think that was the best part of the day, just seeing a city built so long ago, that's still standing, and even thriving!  I mean, we saw a cathedral in Toledo built hundreds of years ago, that has survived wars, famines, persecution, and everything else under the sun, yet the building hasn't fallen.  We don't really build things like that anymore, but we definitely should!

I might write about today later, because I'm definitely ready to get to bed soon, but I'll leave you with an amazing view!  Talk later!  Adios!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You slept on the plane because I wasn't there!!!!

Kelly White said...

You make me feel like I'm almost there...you have such a way with words and pictures. Thanks for sharing!