Sunday, April 12, 2009

A New Kind of Easter...

So yep, Easter was definitely a new experience this year. I wasn't able to go home because of my ongoing research projects here in Auburn, so I simply resolved to make the best of the situation I was given. I didn't really think it would be all that bad, since it was just a Sunday holiday, where I would still have my regular routine of going to church, and taking a nap, but I think I thought wrong.

Today wasn't so bad, but I was definitely a little teary last night. I mean, my whole family was at my house in Dothan eating and fellowshiping (I think that's a word!), and I was in Auburn. Granted, Sarah and I did do some shopping last night, and then we cooked breakfast food at my house, but it just still felt sort of empty, you know?

Today was actually okay though. I went to church this morning, with my new dress just like always! And then the Gilliam's actually invited me to eat with them, so I would have some family time even though I wasn't with my real family! It really helped split up the day, and we had a great time at the IHOP!!!!

I went by and did my work at the greenhouses after that, and then went home to plan my afternoon! I've always wanted to plant a few vegetables, but never really had the time or space to do so. This year's different!!!! So, before going anywhere, I prepared my soil and space by transplanting an existing Tea Olive and then amending the soil with some things I just had around the house.

This is how it started out.... (coincidentally, this is also the photo I sent to insurance man, just so you know, Dad!!)
And before I left, it looked like this...
Just so you know, I moved the tea olive to the other end, although I'm not entirely sure it's going to have enough sun there.....
Since I got a little money for Easter, I thought I would just drop by Wal-Mart and pick up dry dog food and toilet paper before heading to Lowe's for my garden supplies. I had a $20 bill in cash, so I figured I would get those couple of things with that money. Wal-Mart had other ideas. This.....

cost me $24.22!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not to be crude, but I think the Lord really convicted me on highly I think of my dog and my butt.

But not to get off point! I went on to Lowe's and picked up the things I would need to make a successful garden! I knew I wanted some tomatoes, and then I also wanted this other vegetable that I was pretty sure I would be warned against if I told its identity too soon, so you'll just have to wait for that one. But all in all, I think it turned out really cute! I know I'll have to really keep it up, keeping the weeds and bugs out, but mainly Bella out! I put up that cute little white fence, and for right now, she's staying away, but I have a feeling that won't last long, seeing as she had a better time than I did today, carrying around pieces of grass and roots like prized treasures!

Anyhow, this is how it looks now....

And closer....

I know, I know, I got a little carried away on the 'watering in' part, but it'll dry out in no time!

So, while today could have been really sad and a little on the depressing side, it turned out really good in the end!! Hopefully, in about 2-3 months, it'll taste really good too!!

I sincerely hope that your Easter holiday was what you needed it to be too. It's important to really remember what it's all about though. Our God, who sent his only Son to the earth to live and die for us, was completely glorified on this day through the MAGNIFICENT Resurrection of that Son. This was it. This was the day that would seal the deal for our God, and further prove his Power. There's no way it can be understood mentally, nevertheless in words! But its truth still prevails. No matter your situation, or who you are, God loves you, and wants you to love Him too!

3 comments:

cphillips said...

I'm glad to see you're taking such good care of your dog.....and your butt. Can't wait to eat a good tomato sandwich.

Kelly White said...

Anna-Ree you are amazing...I'm so proud of you! You are multi-talented, intelligent, comical and oh so beautiful! :)

Sophia said...

I love your little garden and am looking forward to following it's growth. I will have the bacon, mayo and white bread ready to come make BLT's when those tomatoes are ready. When I was in Auburn last week I harvested 2 gallon size ziplocs of lettuce from Daniel's bedroom!!!! He is growing lettuce in one of those soil less Aerogrow systems--its pretty wild. Does Auburn do any type of agriculture like that on a large scale? TAke care and you and Bella keep your thumbs and paws green.WAR EAGLE--- Love ,Sarah Purvis